Things I Appreciate Right This Minute

  • Energetic school teachers
  • A garage free of mice and clutter
  • 82 degrees by day 62 degrees by night
  • Birthday lunch Plans with my sisters mom and maybe my brother(Felicia your on the sister list)? !!!
  • fresh salsa and peach crisp

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Goalie Rowley











In case you had not heard we have had a 2 year love of a new sport . Well not so new as Algee's mom and dad were playing it on the reservation when they were 3 over 50 years ago. So new to us. ( Algee is Tays best bud who lives down the street ) Any who. Taylor decided he wanted to play Lacrosse in 9th grade. He has been the goalie ever since. Seems most people dont want to get hit with a rock hard ball being swung at them directly. My son seems to think its pretty nifty, except when he can't walk after being hit in the thigh over and over. He has very little desire to play a sport where he has to be aggressive on another man . Its not in his nature to beat on folks and he does not like competing for attention. So actually the position is perfect for him. He is his own man the only standard he compares to is his stats from the last game. Tay was voted most valueable player his first season. They made hima team captain this year, and when I talked to a coach about the team he said he wished he had 35 boys just like him. He listens takes direction and recovers well.










Yesterday we played in a terential down pour it was insane. I ran home to make hot chocolate so they would have something warm to hold and be able to feel their fingers on the stick. The Warriors lost by 2 in the last 30 seconds. I have never seen my boy so defeated. He sat in the rain with his head over his knees for 15 minutes. I got a rain poncho and covered him and did a mom talk with my voice cracking. His team mates were saying "Rowley its not your fault the defense wasnt there." "Your the best player on the team." "You made the sickest save Rowley!" then they lifted him up and carried him under the tarp. I was so greatful for his good team mates. My twisted sad heart was warmed by their boy like kindness.








Now about that sick save. He had just jumped to stop a score and landed on the right of his goalie net on his knees and they went to make another shot and he dove across his goal line on the ground and stopped it with his net! The team went crazy so did I . Like mom does at a track meet. His coach said that should have been on You tube it was so good.

Bottom line there are few things we can learn from consistently winning.
There are consistently things we can learn from a loss. ( I made that one up)


Back on his feet and ready to go.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Go Rowley! We've gotta come see this boy in action. Details.

Em said...

Lacrosse is intense!
And just speaking from a few seasons of soccer goalie tending (where the ball is bigger but much softer) it is a VERY stressful position! Way to go Tay, I totally admire someone who actually wants to play that position (and clearly rocks at it!). :)

Jen said...

I would give anything to see him in action - well almost anything! Good work Tay! Love you!

Molly Thorne said...

Didn't any parent record the game? I would love to see that save. My boys aren't the most athletic so when they come even close to scoring a point just the thought makes me tear up.

Ging said...

Okay I want in on when the next game is being played. Really truly buely. We want to come and cheer him on. This is a great post Terri.It is so great to hear the insights into your son's personality. Clearly, you've done something right.