Things I Appreciate Right This Minute

  • Energetic school teachers
  • A garage free of mice and clutter
  • 82 degrees by day 62 degrees by night
  • Birthday lunch Plans with my sisters mom and maybe my brother(Felicia your on the sister list)? !!!
  • fresh salsa and peach crisp

Friday, June 18, 2010

Finishers







I just wanted to spout a word or two about this runnin bug the family has picked up. While Im in no place of body or frame of mind to run such a feat. I have found tremendous joy in attending. Not much needs to be said about how I love to people watch. "Stop stareing!" has been uttered by more than one irritated child of mine.

However gawking is completely encouraged at a running event. Even better yelling out comments is par for the course and they are well received. Watching a "sprint" , triathelon, 5k, 1/2 marathon or a full is IN.. CRED.. IBLE. Im pretty much choked up from the first person thast passes me.

I might be a drama queen here but I think Im seeing a personal goliath to sley for each individual. I know some people run for the timed race but Im wondering about other things based on the demographics. Im not seeing a big group of heavily muscled Impala's. Their are barely tween age boys, pregnant women, crews of firemen, long haired yogi dudes, thin and fit, short, out of shape, full of energy. Some have smiles and fists to the sky cheering themselves on others are barely walking intensely focused.

I wish there were a visor for each runner that had a flashing scrolling banner that said I run because_______. ( Because my sister died of cancer and we need a cure, because I will do hard things, because I have to start believing sometime, because my husband is my hero and he is waiting at the finish line, because my niece needs a heart transplant, because I choose how to handle my pain, because I lost 50 lbs or I need to loose 50 lbs, because if I can rule my mind and body I can rule anything, because I need to see myself anew. Because its on the bucket list, because I need a win bad)


Whatever it is strangers stand along the path with signs, high 5s , water, and encouragement. This might be a gauntlet where you throw down a challenge to yourself. It is definately not people lined up on each side of ya beating ya to death. No one yells you will never make it. That would be absurd . But out their in the big cruel world thats exactly whats happening. Honking, flipping people off, jeers, short tempered , others questioning your intent, your resolve, your capacity. Day in and out off of the marathons asigned trail we run a gauntlet in our minds and it permiates our souls and the resolve of our body. Im just sayin we could use more pathways where their are words and actual physical signs of encouragement, and orange slices when you are tired. I dont know that I will ever run lets face it, I would be dehydrated at 1/3 of a mile from crying. Anyway to those I admire for putting "It" out there, for daring to believe and then letting us all watch the journey. Thank You. Im so impressed!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this post. Especially the visor idea, nice touch. Mine would probably say "I run because my failures are chasing me and I have to beat them."

Em said...

Incredible. You just summed up some of the best things about running that I could never have verbalized.

I loved encouraging strangers today at Ragnar. Its such a positive atmosphere.

You have such a way with words and understanding Ter.

I run because.... what a great question.

Jen said...

Thanks for this post Ter. You are the most amazing writer. Running makes me cry too. I hate missing these things. I hope you will come cheer me on in October - put it on your calendar. I love you tons!

I run because ....I'm crazy , I've never done it before & I wanna try everything at least once, I'm inspired by the people around me, I CAN!!!!!

Amy said...

What beautiful words Ter, as always. You are cheerleader #1 and I love you.

shawn rowley said...

ditto, hmm....,

Molly Thorne said...

You never seem to disappoint. Always cheering everyone on. Thanks Ter.

JP Anderson said...

That was beautiful. Truly it was. We were just talking about the unseen lessons and blessings that come from such wholesome feats. Felicia is forever changed from the beauty she saw all around her in people during her and Ginger's race. It will make you think about the worthwhileness of the things you put your time and effort into. Thanks so much Terri!