Things I Appreciate Right This Minute

  • Energetic school teachers
  • A garage free of mice and clutter
  • 82 degrees by day 62 degrees by night
  • Birthday lunch Plans with my sisters mom and maybe my brother(Felicia your on the sister list)? !!!
  • fresh salsa and peach crisp

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Cat er un






Thats the phonetic way I often call out for Kate. Its silly and suits her. By now many of you have received "the letter." Monday I went with Kate to get her passport. Due to the timing of things it cost a fortune to get it expedited. I suggested she change her date of departure for India to October. What was I thinkin ! She was resolute, what ever it takes she is gonna be face forward with her dream in September. Last year Kate came to me and said she had been up all night thinking and praying about her life and she wanted me to hear her out. Peace Corp... Service Abroad... I have everything they have nothing... children..... Im an adult.... let me express how I feel threw this song mom.... Then she turned on You Tube and played what was already one of my favorite anthems with a video. Sarah McLaughlin's World on Fire. If your a social worker or just a humanitarian its a song of the heart


World On Fire Sarah McLaughlin
The worlds on fire its more than I can handle Ill tap into the water try and bring my share Try to bring more, more than I can handle Bring it to the table Bring what I am able
Hearts are worn in these dark ages Youre not alone in these stories pagesThe light has fallen amongst the living and the dying And Ill try to hold it in Yeah Ill try to hold it in.

Ok so I get it and with much discussion and begging her to not go for 6 months to Uganda we comprimised on 2 months to India. All on her dime, not surprising to me. But if you dont know my Kate heres some little truths from her mother.



Kate makes people laugh usually till they cry or loose control of bodily function. This is her as Benjamin Button and a character from Fiddler on the Roof















Kate loves culture and customs she has a room full of symbols from other countries. This is the Color Festival at the Hari Krishna Temple




























Kate loves people she is a great friend generous to a bank fault.

















Kate is so ok being Kate and ok with you being you.




























Kate can work ask the Boys at Nestle who tried to keep up with her heavy lifting, labor intensive 12 hour days.









Kate is driven if its one of her priorities nothing will hold her . Like paying of her first truck in one year.



Kate is greatful she is very aware of a world beyond her privileged life.





Kate lives with energy. She loves to hike and climb and do anything that makes her sweat.

























Im so excited for her to have this experience. The tears the pain the fear the adreniline the expounding knowledge the ever growing heart and spinning head. I hope she is desperately home sick and then cant bare to leave. India is so lucky !!!




Love you Katie Did
















































I love Katherine she is a gem of a girl

6 comments:

Jen said...

OHHH - that was so sweet TEr! I love that Katie girl too! I didn't get no letter but I'm gonna watch for it now! I love you Katie Girl! Have fun in India - you will do so much good all through-out your life - good for you!!!!

shawn rowley said...

did you know that her name in hebrew means " the pure lioness of god who dwells in a wild woodland.

katherine ariel rowley.....

she was born that way. just like her mother

Amy said...

We got the letter and it all became real for me at that moment. I am so excited for her. What fantastic experiences she is about to have.

JP Anderson said...

That is going to be one heck of an adventure. Both for Kate and for India with Kate. She's the girl for the job and I just want her to know she's got the heart, body, and soul they need. Look out India!

Em said...

"Kate is so ok being Kate and ok with you being you."
I like that best of all.

( I just received my letter today. I totally scoffed when she told me she was going to India. )

Ging said...

I've been thinking (seriously) about going door to door in my neighborhood and asking for donations for her. I loved getting her letter, it sent a thrill up my spine and a then a choke in my throat. You will never be the same Kate- which is Exactly as it should be. I do love you.