Things I Appreciate Right This Minute

  • Energetic school teachers
  • A garage free of mice and clutter
  • 82 degrees by day 62 degrees by night
  • Birthday lunch Plans with my sisters mom and maybe my brother(Felicia your on the sister list)? !!!
  • fresh salsa and peach crisp

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Draper??
















The Draper Temple open house began this Thursday. Saturday night Shawn and I took Gab, Tay and two of his buddy's to viewe it. Draper holds no romance for me. I think if you turn left at the exit you can go to the Utah Penitentiary ..but if you turn right you will end up on the mountain tops at the Draper Temple. We waited with what is believed to be 13,000 people that night to attend the open house. We sat in a near by ward house for over an hour ; waiting for a bus to take us the 6 miles further up the mountain to our destination. An hour sitting in the chapel elbow to elbow challenges reverence, particularly for 16 year old boys. They gave each other charlie horses and dead legs and occasionally I caught Shawn twisting someones ear and giving them the hairy eyeball. Not sure if he was promoting their reverence or joining ranks, probably both. Well the wait was worth it. Draper has new romance. What an exquisite place . Shawn touched nearly every piece of african wood amazed at the joints and details.I could not believe the murals that seemed nearly real. Did you know that people are called on art missions?. We were all taken in by the enormity of work done to absolute precision. The tour itself would be worth it if you were interested only in seeing an art exhibit. Shawn liked Rescue of the lost Lamb by MinervaTeichert. I loved a Simon Dewey called Why weepest thou, it was huge. Parson, Brickey, Bloch tons of beautiful art. The sego lily flower is etched in glass, carpet and even some wood, I think. Once you reached the sealing rooms they took us in small groups to sit in the room and here a couple testify of Gods plan for families. It was really beautiful in so many ways. Gabby just kept whispering curious questions all the way threw. She was thrilled to hear they have a room that will accomodate up to 75 people. I guess she wants lots of us to be there. She asked if she gets to say vows . I said no. Then do we get to kiss, she said kind of irritated. I said yes that you get to do. She wanted to kneel across a sacred place. I couldnt let her do that but I will be there on the day that she can. We all looked into the mirrors that extended into the distance.The temple doesnt have clothing rental or a cafeteria but it was amazing. So as in all of lifes choices when you exit choose the right the view and the feeling will be well worth the drive.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds wonderful! We're going in March. Thought you might enjoy this article about art missionaries:

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/56198/Art-missionaries-help-beautify-temple-interior.html

Thanks for sharing!

Jen said...

awesome! I want to go -maybe we could go when we come down for the blessing! Just a thought! I would love to take my girls! Love you! Jenner

Amy said...

I can't wait to take my kids, but I will...until we are all well and feel like we can take Grace out. I'm so glad you guys got to go.

Ging said...

We have our tickets- I am excited to go on, but they're not until March. I did know about the art missions- but then I work with a man who works with artists, actually many of those who did the murals. I can't wait to see it. Some day we must all venture to Nauvoo, it has a similar affect on the eyes and heart. Thanks for sharing your day with us.

JP Anderson said...

Thanks for getting us excited to go. Our tickets are for Jan. 30. We really enjoyed going to the Rexburg open house. I'm glad you got to go with your kids and some of their friends.