Things I Appreciate Right This Minute

  • Energetic school teachers
  • A garage free of mice and clutter
  • 82 degrees by day 62 degrees by night
  • Birthday lunch Plans with my sisters mom and maybe my brother(Felicia your on the sister list)? !!!
  • fresh salsa and peach crisp

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Do Bad Things Really Happen In 3's?










If bed things happen in 3's Im there. When the Orem house sale fell through on Nov 27th I was certain I had filled my quota of bad luck after all that was the 3rd person to leave earnest money and commit to buy the house. On the bright side we have made $ 1,800 in earnest money thats almost 2 of the 17 house payments I have made while it has sat empty. On Dec 9th I discovered my streak of bad luck was still in progress. This happened when the woman in front of me stopped to make a left hand turn and I failerd to recognize that her car was no longer in motion. I swerved but caught the back corner of her van and the left corner of mine. I heard my light shatter and my hope that I had cleared her all at the same time. She got out and I knew it was my fault ( but I wish she had signaled still my fault) So I asked if she was ok called 911 and she asked if she could borrow my phone to call her husband. I said sure Im certainly not calling mine. That sounded bad but I knew Shawn was headed for his first ever bishopric meeting and I did not want to dump this on him. Later that night when I told him he was just glad no one got hurt and said now we can replace that side mirror thats been broke for 4 years. Good attitude, and I do appreciate it but its my fault!

This morning I got up, Immediately invitied the Christmas spirit by plugging in the Christmas tree lights and starting the christmas candle, a load of laundry and off to the shower. Then I heard it ...as I was stepping out of the shower. Every fire detector in the house was blareing Shawn sat up dazed I ran yelling, this is my fault. I knew immediately what happened I walked away from the candle. Thats not usually a big deal unless you turned on the stove to help it melt a little. Ive done it before. Tempted fate many times. Turn it on for 30 seconds and then light the candle and take it off the burner. Im my mothers daughter impatient I want to get to the smell right away. But this time I forgot I had turned on the stove and walked away to let Sam out. Then I just headed for the shower completely oblivious of my actions. Ive cried my share of sorrowful tears this morning. I could have burned our house down, or worse hurt or killed my family which still makes me cry to think what could have happened. Im just sick at my stupidity and added to the problem when I tried to smother it and flames redirected out the side of the lid and up the microwave to the ceiling. Shawn got a big towel and pushed the glass off the burner and it quickly died down . There was my melted microwave charred cabinet and my husband telling me it was our Christmas miracle. I know what he means but it was my fault!! When the adrenal dies away and I sit and ponder it doesnt take long to recognize the difference between a fender bender and needing a new car, or the difference between a small kitchen fire and loosing your home or worse. So have I been 3 times cursed or 3 times blessed. I have recoverd from every misfortune and learned valueable lessons. I would have to say thats a blessing. My microwave disagrees, it paid with its life. But if you ask Shawn he would say "that turn table wasnt working anyway and my cereal was always cooked on one side of the bowl" Isnt he nice to make it sound like I did us some favor. But I know...... its my fault.

All of this.... kind of in a Christmas way, reminds me of the purpose of the Savior in my life. I make mistakes, hopefully I learn from them some are pretty costly, some I try to clean up and make a bigger mess. While the insurance company did nothing wrong they will carry the greater burden . They will advocate for me with the other driver, estimate the cost and pay the largest portion. I dont have to do anything after I pay my share. And it is all my fault. At this moment I think I understand Godly sorrow better than I ever have. Iam so terribly sorry for my actions and so highly aware of the cost distribution which leaves me deeply greatful that I do not bare all the weight of my burdens alone.

8 comments:

Amy said...

I'm so sorry. I'm just so sorry. It will all be okay, and I am so glad that fire wasn't any worse. I'll be calling you!

Molly Thorne said...

Holy Crap! I'm glad everything is alright. What a nice husband of yours to show such sarcasm in those situations. What a fabulous parable you have just come up with. I just might have to use that. Hope you have a merry Christmas. Love Ya

Ging said...

Terr- You are such a great teacher!! The best teachers are not just the ones who have difficult experiences, or even the ones who share them- they are the ones who always seem to know which lessons to share and how they will be valued by others. I value your lessons. I am sorry about your microwave, your cabinet, you car and you 2nd home- but I sure am grateful for a good dose of what matters most. I think Shawn is right- and I also think he is wonderful for being able to see the wonderful in hard things. We all have faults- Halleujah!!

shawn rowley said...

we have all we need and more. we are so blessed everyday. it isn't sufficient that we only say "it could have been worst". when we get to see a screening of our life, we will be astounded at how often we were protected by the very hand of God, then walked away congratulating ourselves.

don't be sad anymore.
sides' our new microwave is cool!

Em said...

Oh wow. Amy called and informed me of this terrible blog of yours. I'm so very sorry Ter. I am also very glad to be hearing this as opposed to you being in a bad car accident or as a homeless sister. Its such a gut-sinking feeling when you know the blame is yours to shoulder. But thankfully these are all small things in a greater perspective, and hopefully, in the near future will provide you with fortunate stories to laugh at. Your microwave looks terrible, and you've paid plenty of insurance by now, its about time they cough up. :) I'm glad you shared your healthy perspective on it all. Love you!

Jen said...

Ter, OH MY ! I'm so so so sorry! I second what everyone has already said and am just so glad that you guys are alright! Love you!

Unknown said...

My life is but a weaving between my God and me, I do not choose the colors, He worketh steadily.
Oftimes He weaveth sorrow, and I in foolish pride, Forget He sees the upper, and I the underside.

Not till the loom is silent, and shuttles cease to fly,
Will God unroll the canvas and explain the reason why.
The dark threads are as needful in the skillful Weaver's hand
As the threads of gold and silver in the pattern He has planned.

JP Anderson said...

I am sorry for your misfortunes but more so happy for your great fortunes. That was greatly analyzed and put into perspective that makes you feel blessed. What a great approach to life that is. If that could be shared and understood the world around, that one big Christmas wish everyone has of world peace might just be realized.