Things I Appreciate Right This Minute

  • Energetic school teachers
  • A garage free of mice and clutter
  • 82 degrees by day 62 degrees by night
  • Birthday lunch Plans with my sisters mom and maybe my brother(Felicia your on the sister list)? !!!
  • fresh salsa and peach crisp

Friday, November 7, 2008

Historic Day!


So Tuesday November 4th 2008 turned out to be a a pretty big deal. Im sure that voting in a new president counted but thats not what Im a talkin about. For me it was personal and Im tearing up just recalling its significance. I was a teenager when dad asked me what I wanted to do with my life. ( I now realize how important that question is for a parent) I told him I wanted to be a Psychologist. He told me that would take lots of years of school, Im sure my geometry grade gave him reason to caution me. In second grade I wanted to be a stewardess, now known as a flight attendant. Other than that there has only been one dream . I thought it was a Psychologist but the purpose of our first years of college is to set us straight on what we really want. Social Work looks at the social systems that affect people. We care about it all. Hunger, poverty, discrimination, HIV, sibling rivalry, family connections, education, culture, religion it all shapes who we become. I personally love the family system, and dreamed of a day I would be a guide in the family therapy process it was an ominous thought. Which leads me back to Tuesday my historic day. Tuesday I moved from individual therapy with 3 sisters to family therapy with everyone. I was beyond nerveous. I know how valueable change can be for people.Finding new ways of looking at one another, new memorys, new labels or no labels. I survived the hour with a prayer, Virginia Satirs teachings and a sketch pad . The 5 year old and the 40 year old all stayed interested and invested. I was moved that they wanted it enough to face the many needs for change. It will be painful and conforntive and healing. I LOVE WHAT I DO which is watching the most intimate and powerful places be explored in a human sole, often my own sole is included. I hope you celabrate your milestones , they are such great markers of where we have been and where we are headed. I still have a western family water bottle in my top drawer that Ginger drank out of right after she finished her first big race, it was significant to me that it was her first well earned reward after victory. I appreciate a family of builders all pressing beyond their comfort to be more. Go Felecia you are 1/3 done and JP you know where you are goin thats big! Keep writing your scripts Scott, Power chair on Scotty. I know most of those wheel chair door openers are broke but you keep movin across that corrupt campus to your dream. To the red head who is liven the Peach State Dream keep takin chances, And to my many sisters who day dreamed as little girls themselves, about the faces of the children you would hold as your own, you are there ! Is this great or what. Now to play the piano, paint and speak Spanish .

4 comments:

Em said...

Wow. It sounds like I really missed out on a pretty incredible event. I'm sorry for that but happy to hear you've been able to spread your gift of understanding and connecting people with each other and with their inner selves. :) Within the family no less. whewh. Just thinking about that makes me heart quiver a little. A momentous task, even with a superb family as ours. I love you Ter.

JP Anderson said...

Thanks for the encouragement Ter. I am glad that I finally made my mind up on what to do with myself. Thank you for your your words of wisdom you share with us via this blog. ps Is that Alecia girl you mentioned possible Fe-lecia?

Terri said...

Ya got to be a pretty bad typist to mess that one up or just unaware! I really do know your wifes name, but I will add typing to my list of milestones I need to reach.

Ging said...

Speaking of teary-eyed. You kept the bottle?.. Thank you Terri. I love how natural loving comes to you. I am sure you will continue t experience great success in this new arena. You always learn from hard days. Also, thank you for cheering, the encouragement comes in a timely manner as I have started formal training again. It is so exhausting and rewarding, like everything that has ever mattered in my life. CAN is a powerful word