Things I Appreciate Right This Minute

  • Energetic school teachers
  • A garage free of mice and clutter
  • 82 degrees by day 62 degrees by night
  • Birthday lunch Plans with my sisters mom and maybe my brother(Felicia your on the sister list)? !!!
  • fresh salsa and peach crisp

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Who decides what is a weed and what is a flower?









Almost every night at dusk I take the dogs for their evening adventure in the fields. I walk and enjoy the surroundings. Most of the field is full of dried pricker bushes and stubby grass but their are also these "weeds" that grow up in the sidewalk or out in the middle of unhospitable dry land. Im quite amazed at the colors shapes and the persistance of a weed. Thats when I thought to myself what makes a flower a flower and a weed a weed? After all the connotations are extremes. Weeds are often knarly, uninvited, misplaced and have glareing in perfections. Flowers are mostly glorious blooms with succulent foliage. They usually demand the best of circumstance to prosper.



Monday Kate called me from the infermary at Camp .


It was 98 degress and 75% humidity there in New York. She is at the pool all day and had been in to much heat. We talked for almost 2 hours. It was wonderful. She talked about her boys with enthusiasum and delight. The dances they do, the songs they sing, how one refers to himself in 3rd person and another dresses in full rain gear every day just in case it should rain. She loves her job and refers to it as a blessing. In the early morning she does instructional swim and it is her glory time. In the water one on one they learn together about one another. I know these "boys" are preteens and some are upwards of 30 years. Kate and I have a kindred bond to the world of Autism. My work at Scenic View with my"boys" was one of the finest experiences of my life. In the learned world and by all accounts and diagnostic criteria Autism is a disorder.





Diagnosis, disorders, diseases they are weeds in a human world. Something that didnt go quite right. A reflection of imperfection. Some days I just wonder who's really in charge of defining what normal is. Why is normal so great anyway? I know why I like normal, it is easy. I am unhindered to move about just as Iam. I Love a normal day no pain , gliding along, almost without thought or requirement. I dont wish for abnormal it can be so painful awkward and tiresome.


But just from my vision I want to say something about those whos lives have taken moments, time periods, or have entire lives of abnormal. Iam touched by the effort, the strain and the daily pain even at the hands of the "normal". Diagnosis, disorders, disease looks pretty noble to me.


God must have known whom of us could still bloom in the sidewalk and uninhabitable places .

7 comments:

Jen said...

Ter, you have a way with words that no one can touch. It's such a gift. I love this post and you too!

JP Anderson said...

nicely said. only experience and wisdom can talk like that.

Bonnie Anderson said...

terri 2of the most beautifull flowers i have ever seen is the beautifull lavender flower on a bull thistle and the dandelions my sweet children have given me. you are special mom

Amy said...

I love this post. So touching and thought provoking. Wonderful words to think about. You are amazing.

Molly Thorne said...

Very good.. I always look for a time when I can share your words when I teach on Sunday. Lovely thoughts, it makes me think of one of my dailey not so normal challenges.

Ging said...

Well spoken.This is a tender subject for me and you have captured my feelings perfectly. Again.

Em said...

I have spent a summer cutting/picking "weeds" that were the only green thing that survived in the desert. I always thought it a shame. The invasive species seems to thrive where others struggle to keep it together.